How to Apply for Japan Tourist Visa
A visitor who wants to travel to Japan for the purpose of tourism will have to obtain a tourist visa before entering the country.
Japan tourist visa is a short term visa. This short term visa allows a visitor to visit Japan for the purpose of sightseeing, attending business meet or conference, participating in short term courses or visiting friends and relatives. This visa does not allow a visitor to undertake paid activities while in Japan.
A tourist visa to Japan is valid for a period of up to 90 days. A visitor is allowed to stay in Japan for maximum of 15 days only under the single entry regulation.
Eligibility Criteria for Japan Tourist Visa
To be eligible for Japan tourist visa you will have to fulfil the following conditions:
- You must have a valid passport
- Your passport must have at least 2 blank pages for the visa
- Your passport must have a validity that extends the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- You must have a copy of your completed visa application form
- You must provide proof of your confirmed hotel reservation, flight bookings and travel itinerary for the entire duration of your stay in Japan
- You must provide a copy of your round-trip or tour ticket
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself monetarily during your stay in Japan and for your return transportation.
- You must provide a formal statement of your financial situation from your bank for the previous 6 months
- You must provide your latest income tax return certificate
- You must provide a copy of your birth certificate
- If you are married you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate
- You must provide a copy of your Certificate of Employment or COE if you are applying without a sponsor
- You must have the intention to leave Japan at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Japan Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Japan tourist visa, go through the required list of documents and the processing time needed for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Download the Visa Application Form from the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the details required in the application form carefully. Do not forget to put your signature on your completed application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Download from the internet the checklist of required documents to be submitted along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old. You will need to submit one copy of your passport photograph along with your visa application form.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Keep the fee ready for submission along with your application form. Remember to check the mode of payment accepted for the visa application by the Embassy of Japan where you intend to submit your application form.
Step 6: Submit your visa application form
Submit your completed visa application at the Embassy of Japan nearest to you, along with all the required documentation. Depending on your country of origin, you may have to submit the application either in person or through an accredited travel agent that has been approved by the Japanese Embassy or Consulate General. You may be required to attend an interview as well.
Step 7: Pay required visa application fee
Pay the applicable fee for your visa application at the time of submitting your application form. You will be provided with an invoice or receipt for the same. Keep it carefully.
Step 8: Collect your visa
After your visa is issued, you will be notified regarding the issuance. Collect your visa by showing the original invoice cum receipt provided at time of submission of your application. In case you want a representative or a travel agent to collect the passport on your behalf, you will have to provide an authorization letter signed by you in addition to the original invoice cum receipt.