How to apply for Canada Tourist Visa
Canada Tourist Visa is a temporary Canadian immigration option that allows tourists to visit Canada for the purpose of tourism and leisure. A Canada tourist visa is also known as Canada visitor visa or Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TVR). The Canada tourist visa is granted for a maximum period of six months
Canada tourist visas are of two types
- Single entry visa
- Multiple entry visa
Both the visas are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.
A single entry visa allows the visa holder to enter Canada just once. After the visa holder leaves Canada, except for travelling to the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, he or she will need a new visa to enter Canada again. If the tourist is travelling to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) or St. Pierre and Miquelon, he or she will not need a new visitor visa to return to Canada.
A multiple entry visa allows a visitor to come and go from Canada for six months at a time, without having to reapply each time. The multiple entry visa can be valid for up to 10 years, or one month before the visa holders passport expires, whichever happens earlier.
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Tourist Visa
In order to meet the eligibility criteria for a tourist visa, you will need to prove to the immigration authorities the following things:
- You have a valid passport
- You are in good health
- You have the financial resources means required to pay for your expenses while in Canada
- You have a residence outside Canada and other binding ties that will ensure your return home after your visit to Canada
- You plan to remain in Canada for a specific and limited period of time
- You intend to leave Canada at the end of your visit
- You have no intention to seek or undertake employment while in Canada
- You have no criminal record
- You do not pose a security risk
- You agree to abide by the laws of the land
- You may be required to undergo a medical examination
Steps to follow to apply for Canada Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Canada tourist visa, read complete information on the visa/permit requirements on the CIC website to be sure that you are eligible for the same. Once you are sure that you are eligible for application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Determine how you will apply
You can apply in either of the two ways for a tourist visa.
To apply online you should have access to a credit card and a scanner or camera in order to be able to create electronic copies of your supporting documents.
To apply on paper download the application form for your visa and the relevant checklist and follow the steps mentioned below.
Step 2: Fill out the tourist visa application form
Read the instruction guide and carefully fill up the application form. Note that the completed application must include the barcode page. Your application may be returned or refused if you do not provide all the requested information, documents and fees.
Step 3: Pay the processing fee
Pay the fees for your visa application. Fees must be paid via bank draft or certified cheque. You must refer to the fee schedule for current fees and bank draft details. Note that you must check this webpage again just before paying for the latest information on visa application fees.
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your visa application is refused.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates which may change.