Orientation Year Program for Netherland

Enquiry Form

Trusted Visa Company

  • ISO Certified 9001:2015
  • MCA Approved
  • Top 5 Immigration Consultancy in India
  • Associated With ICCRC, MARA, IAA
Netherlands Demographics

  • Capital: Amsterdam
  • Dialing code: +31
  • Currency: Euro
  • Population: 17.13 million (2019)
  • Language spoken: Dutch, English
  • Population growth rate: 0.6% annual change (2017)
  • Gross domestic product: 826.2 billion USD (2017)
  • GDP per capita: 48,223.16 USD (2017)
Cost of Living in Netherlands


  • Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage: 158.35 €
  • 1 min. of Prepaid Mobile: 0.15 €
  • Internet 60 Mbps or More: 38.31 €


  • One-way Ticket(Local Transport): 3.00 €
  • Monthly Pass(Regular Price): 80.00 €
  • Taxi Start (Normal Tariff): 4.00 €
  • Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff): 2.18 €
  • Taxi 1hour Waiting: 30.00 €
  • Gasoline (1 liter): 1.61 €
  • Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline: 24,045.00 €
  • Toyota Corolla 1.6l 97kW Comfort: 23,845.56 €


  • Apartment (1 bedroom) in City: 976.12 €
  • Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside: 784.66 €
  • Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City: 1,646.05 €
  • Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside: 1,254.94 €

Food & Drink

  • Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant: 15.00 €
  • Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle): 2.22 €
  • Water (0.33 liter bottle): 1.86 €
  • Milk (regular), (1 liter): 0.89 €
  • Rice (white), (1kg): 1.77 €
  • Eggs (regular) (12): 2.30 €
  • Local Cheese (1kg): 10.23 €
 Home / Job Search / Orientation year Program for Netherlands
Orientation year Program for Netherlands

If you have recently acquired a bachelor’s degree or have obtained your PhD from a higher education institution in the Netherlands or abroad, then the “Orientation year residence permit” can be an honest alternative for you to live and work in the Netherlands.

What is an orientation year permit?

The Netherlands government designed the oriented year residence permit to give highly educated expat graduates the time to find a job or start up their own business after studying in the Netherlands. Before 2016, there were two policies: “the orientation year for highly educated persons” and “the orientation year for graduates”.

The orientation year permit grants recent graduates from non-EU countries and to remain in or come to the Netherlands for a period of up to 12 months. People can seek employment or work without needing an extra work permit. During this period, they can have free access to the Dutch Labour market, as employers do not need to apply for a work permit for them.

International graduates can apply for the special work and residence permit within three years after their graduation; this allows them to first return to their home country for some time and then return to the Netherlands to look for employment.

Kick-start your career in the Netherlands

The orientation year permit aims at retaining and attracting foreign talent for the Dutch Labour market. Graduates need to have completed a master’s or post-doctoral programme or have obtained a doctorate in the Netherlands or at an internationally recognized top 200 universities. Once a graduate is employed with the help of the orientation year permit, the permit can be converted into a residence permit for highly skilled migrants.

Who is a ‘Highly Skilled Migrant’?

The highly skilled migrant decree came into effect in 2004. This ruling reflected that highly skilled migrants enjoy a special status within Dutch law, which includes that they don’t require a work permit. Foreign nationals in the Netherlands are highly skilled migrants if they are employed by a recognized sponsor. They must meet the salary requirement. However, the salary is lower for graduates with an orientation year permit. This remains valid for as long as the graduates with the same company.

How the Orientation Year permit Works

The orientation year permit with bona fide is valid for a maximum of one year and allows the permit holder to work without restrictions, so a work permit is not required.

Eligibility Criteria

To apply for orientation year residence permit in the Netherlands you must meet both general and specific requirement.

Orientation year permit- General Conditions

  • Should fit in one of the categories of eligible applicants.
  • Should apply within three years of completing your studies.
  • Should have a valid passport.
  • Should not have a criminal record.
  • Should be prepared to undergo a tuberculosis test on arrival in the Netherlands.

Orientation year permit- Specific Conditions:

  • Have an accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s programme in the Netherlands.
  • Must have completed a PhD or post-doctoral programme in the Netherlands.
  • Should have held a Dutch residence permit for scientific research or a residence permit to work as a highly-skilled migrant to undertake scientific research in the Netherlands.
  • You have completed a Master’s programme based on an Erasmus Mundus Masters Course.
  • You have completed a study in the Dutch Cultural Policy Act.
  • You have completed a study in the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ development programme.
  • You have completed a higher education programme that is recognized by ministerial order.
  • You have completed a Master’s or post-doctoral programme or obtained a PhD at a designated international education institution abroad and you fulfill the certain language requirement.

International education is recognized if it is in the top 200 of a general, faculty or subject ranking list by the:

  • QS World University Rankings
  • Academic Ranking of World Universities
  • Times Higher Education World University Rankings

Language Requirement

  • A score 6.0 or higher for the IELTS.
  • Have a diploma, certificate or document that is recognized by the Dutch Civic Integration Decree (Article 2.3 (1).
  • Must have completed a Master or post-doctoral programme in English or Dutch.

How to Apply?

  • You do not require a temporary residence permit (MVV) If you are already in the Netherlands. You can apply directly to the IND for an “Orientation year for highly educated persons” residence permit.
  • You can apply for the orientation year residence permit at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of residence if you are living outside the Netherlands.

Apply with Aspire

Aspire World Immigration Consultancy Services LLP provides support services to implementing and supervising organizations concerning the procedures for applying in the Oriental year permit and subsequent necessary entry and residence applications.

Assessment Form


Head Office: Flat No. 208, 2nd Floor, Pragati Tower, 26 Rajendra Place New Delhi- 110008

Branch Office: Flat No. 206, 2nd Floor, Pragati Tower, 26 Rajendra Place New Delhi- 110008

Australia Office: Level 25, 108 st George Terrace Perth, WA 6000, Australia

Cape Town Office: Somerset West / Strand, Western Cape, South Africa

Contact Information

Opening Hours

Disclaimer : Aspire World Immigration Consultancy Services LLP is authorized to provide visa consultancy services that guide with world immigration options, such as guiding for relevant documentation for visa filing, assessing the eligibility criteria for applicant. We work with licensed immigration advisors; all the official fee payment if any and form purchasing will be done from the government offices directly as we don't sell anything that can be procured from any government office. The decision to issue or refuse a visa is made solely by immigration officers of respective countries. All applications will be assessed in accordance with immigration visa rules and guidelines. Aspire World Immigration Consultancy Services LLP has no role or influence over the outcome of an application and will not offer any evaluative advice.

We do not have any direct tie up or association with any employer and recruitment firm. We do not hire any agent or sub agent and we do not work as any agent or sub agent for any organization in India or Overseas. Please Mail us for such alert.