How to Apply for Italy Tourist Visa
To visit Italy for the purpose of tourism a visitor requires a short stay visa. The short stay visa is also known as C visa or Schengen visa. The Schengen visa is the standard visa that is valid for all the 26 countries in the Schengen Area, including Italy. This short stay visa is issued for 90 days within a 180 day period from the date of first entry to the Schengen Area. The visa is issued for single entry or multiple entries.
The Schengen short stay visa is not limited for the purpose of tourism only. This visa is also applicable for family visits, medical treatment or business travel.
Eligibility Criteria for Italy Tourist Visa
You must fulfil the following conditions in order to meet the eligibility criteria for obtaining Italy tourist visa.
- You must have a valid passport with a validity of at least 3 months beyond the expiry date of your short stay visa
- Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago
- Your passport must contain at least two blank pages for the visa and the entry and exit stamps of Italy
- You must possess enough financial resources to pay for your expenses during your stay in Italy
- You must possess Overseas medical insurance with minimum coverage of Euro 30,000
- You intend to leave Italy and the Schengen Area when your visa expires
- You will have to provide detailed information regarding your travel itinerary, including flight booking, such as the dates, time of travel and flight numbers. You will also be required to mention any other country that you intend to visit during the trip
- You intend to visit the Schengen Area purely for the purpose stated by you in your visa application
- You must provide proof of accommodation, such as confirmed hotel booking or invitation letter from a sponsor in Italy
Steps to follow to apply for Italy Tourist Visa
Before you apply for Italy tourist visa, read complete information on the visa document requirements and the processing time required for the visa to be issued. Once you are aware of all the details regarding the application, you can go ahead with the following procedure:
Step 1: Download the visa application form
Your first step is to obtain the tourist visa application form for Italy. You can obtain it either from your Italian consulate or you can download it online from.
Step 2: Fill up the visa application form
Fill out the application form carefully. You must submit one application form for each individual applying for a visa, including children. Do not forget to put your signature on your application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for visa application
Make a check list of the documents that you need to submit along with your application form. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your visa application
Provide your recent colour photograph for the visa application. Make sure that your photograph matches or corresponds to all the specifications required for visa photographs. You can check the visa photograph requirements from. You will need to submit two copies of the photograph for your visa.
Step 5: Check the visa application fee
Check the fees required for your visa application. Remember that the application fee varies according to the country from which you are applying.
Step 6: Schedule an appointment
Schedule an appointment at the Visa Application Centre for submitting your application.
Step 7: Reach your visa application centre on time
Reach the visa application centre on the scheduled date of your submission on time. Carry all the necessary documents along with your visa application form. Remember that you must carry original documents for the purpose of verification and submit the photocopies along with the application form. Normally, you must carry the following documents:
- Original valid passport
- Duly filled and signed application form
- Two colour photographs
- All other documents mentioned in the visa application checklist
- Necessary fees for your visa application process
Step 8: Submit your visa application form
Pay your visa application fee and submit your completed application form to the concerned authorities. You will be issued acknowledgement receipt for your application submission and fee payment.
Step 9: Track your visa application form
Keep a track on your visa application form by tracking it online.
Step 10: Collect your visa
You can collect your visa in person by visiting the visa application centre. You can also opt to have your visa delivered at your home or office through courier service.
Required Fees for Italy Tourist Visa
Visa Fees for Italy Tourist Visa (Adult) - 60 Euro (INR 4,628.49)
Visa fees for children - 35 Euro (INR 2,699.95)
- The visa fee is subject to change without notice
- Children below 6 years are exempted from visa application fee only in case of Short Term category
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your visa application is refused.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates which may change.